Podcast: Introducing Ryan Dillahay – FretDojo’s New Community Manager
Join hosts Greg and Vin as they welcome Ryan Dillahay to the Fret Dojo team and for a one-of-a-kind look into the world of a working jazz guitarist.
In this exclusive interview, Ryan pulls back the curtain on his evolution from blues to jazz. You’ll hear how this recent college grad and student of one of the most highly regarded jazz guitarists and educators in the country, made the leap into full-time musicianship and hustling gigs across town.
Ryan shares the highs and lows of making it as a working player, with valuable lessons for any aspiring jazz guitarist. Hear his tips on developing chops, growing your sound and getting those breakout gigs, as well as his plans to bring his fresh and fun approach to learning jazz guitar to Fret Dojo!
- Hear what it was like to study with University of North Florida acclaimed educator and performing artist Barry Greene.
- Learn the daily routine of a working jazz guitarist as Ryan talks about teaching, networking, gigging and other tasks that fill up the day of a typical working jazz guitarist.
- Hear about the influence jazz greats like George Benson and Pat Martino had on his learning journey and playing style to this day.
- Ryan recalls subbing last-minute with unknown band and how that taught him the importance of preparation and building an ever expanding repertoire
- In his role as Community Manager, Ryan is excited to engage FretDojo members through jazz guitar lessons and fun challenges that both educate and ignite a passion for learning to play like the greats!
What was your journey to learning jazz guitar like? Have you played another style for years and now wanting to learn jazz or are you brand new to guitar? Leave your comments below!
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer