Podcast: Using Guitar Picks for Jazz – Tips and Techniques
There’s no doubt about it:
Choosing the right picking style is one of the mostly hotly debated topics in jazz guitar.
Tune in today where we’ll have an in-depth discussion on the different picking approaches for jazz guitar and our recommendations.
- Fingerstyle and picks are both valid and important techniques for jazz guitarists.
- Heavier, stiffer picks are common in jazz, providing more control and a warm tone.
- Picking location along the strings affects tone, with playing near the bridge sounding brighter and near the neck warmer.
- Guitar and amp settings have the biggest impact on electric tone, while right hand technique and nail shape affect acoustic fingerstyle guitar.
- Picks may help build speed faster on single note runs for beginners, but fingerstyle can also reach advanced speeds with practice.
- The choice between fingerstyle and picks depends on musical goals – fingerstyle suits chord melodies and multiple voices, while picks excel at fast single-note lines.
- Other picking options like hybrid picking, thumb picks, or tucking a pick provide versatility.
- There is no universally superior choice between fingerstyle and picks for jazz guitar – it depends on each guitarist’s musical goals and personal expression
- Experimentation is key to finding the ideal picking approach.
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer