About Fret Dojo
This site is all about the essential concepts and techniques you need to become a jazz guitarist with confidence.
I know how confusing studying jazz guitar can be – trust me, I’ve been there! The amount of information out there about jazz guitar is overwhelming, especially on the internet, and it’s very difficult to find a clear path through the noise and know how to apply this knowledge to your playing in a real life situation.
So that’s the goal of this website in a nutshell: step-by-step jazz guitar lessons that give you the shortcuts to master the key skills needed to be an awesome jazz guitarist and all round excellent jazz musician, even if you have limited time.
I called this website Fret Dojo because learning jazz guitar seems to take a zen warrior-like focus and discipline to master. Technique, creativity and knowledge of the jazz vocabulary need to converge in the spontaneous moment – and it also needs to sound convincing!
Although it does take time to master this style, the journey is well worth it – the creative possibilities of jazz guitar are enormous. It is one of the most exciting, enjoyable, and expressive guitar styles you can learn.
Does any of the following sound familiar?
- “I’m trying to practice jazz guitar, however I’m not sure if the things I am doing are essential for success – or am I just going down rabbit holes?”
- “I would love to gain the confidence to be able to sit down with other jazz musicians and be good enough to play along and solo convincingly!”
- “I have become overwhelmed with the vast amount of information out there on jazz guitar. I’m scratching my head trying remember all the scales all the chord shapes, all the licks and everything else, let alone be able to tie it all together to make music!”
- “I panic if even the house cat hears me play – let alone jazz cats! Just recording myself is nerve wracking…”
- “I have such limited time to practice, what is the best way to use the time I do have?”
- “I’ve been playing other styles for years, and now I’m trying to get into jazz guitar – but where do I start?”
If you can relate to the above questions, then we are here to help.
Over the past decade, FretDojo has grown into one of the highest ranked websites about learning jazz guitar. Our wide range of jazz guitar courses will give you the clearest step-by-step pathway to developing your jazz guitar skill in an easy and fun way.
By following our curriculum, we’ll help you set clear goals and you’ll discover how to boil down jazz guitar playing to it’s essential components. This is your chance to becoming a confident and great sounding jazz guitarist.
So let’s get started!
To browse what courses we currently have on offer, go here:
I’ll see you in the Fret Dojo!
Greg O’Rourke, BMus (Hons), ANU
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education
Got a question? Contact us here >>