Interview With Per Olav Kobberstad, World Touring Latin Jazz Guitarist
This time on FretDojo, I’m excited to share with you an interview I recently had with world-wide touring latin jazz guitarist from Norway, Per Olav Kobberstad.
Per Olav is one of those young, modern Latin jazz guitarists that are a breeze of fresh air and who are bringing all-welcome innovations to the genre. Just check out his credits:
- Per Olav is one of the few in the world playing 8-string acoustic guitar
- Released his debut album “Os Rios, As Ligações” with some of Brazil’s top musicians in 2014
- Album “Colonial Colors” was released together with Alf Wilhelm Lundberg in 2016
- Per Olav recorded his latest album “Cachorro À Vista” with one of the most legendary percussionists in Brazil, Robertinho Silva (known to play with Tom Jobim, Wayne Shorter, Weather Report, Milton Nascimento, Herbie Hancock and many more).
In the interview below, I go on a deep dive with Per Olav where he reveals how he started with Latin jazz, what led him to tour the world, his time gigging in Brazil, as well as how he approaches jazz guitar and composing music. It’s time to get up close with Per Olav – I suggest you bring a notepad as there are golden tips inside this interview.
Interview With Per Olav (Audio Version)
Download the audio file here – so you can listen to it on your mp3 player or phone (Right Click + Save As…)
Resources mentioned in the interview:
- Per Olav Kobberstad official website where you can learn more about him
- Per Olav plays 8-string guitars made by the luthier Esteban Gonzalez, Argentina
- Order Per Olav Kobberstad CDs and check out his discography here.
- Per Olav Kobberstad Official Facebook Page
Stop Press – LIVE Workshop With Per Olav Kobberstad on Latin Chord Melody!
By the way, Per Olav has kindly agreed to hold a workshop tomorrow for FretDojo, at Thursday 18th January at 3:30pm USA Eastern time, all about the secrets of arranging Latin jazz standards for solo chord melody jazz guitar. Per Olav is an expert at fingerstyle techniques for jazz guitar too, so this is an excellent chance to get some top tips for your playing from a world class Latin guitarist.
The workshop is free if you join up for the FretDojo Academy Club here, otherwise you can buy a stand-alone ticket to the workshop by clicking this link.
Let me know what you thought about this interview by leaving a comment below…