The “Passy-Doble” Joe Pass Jazz Guitar Lick
► Get your FREE PDF Worksheet for this lesson here: https://www.fretdojo.com/pdf/
► Start Your FretDojo Academy Membership Here: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Welcome to this replay of episode #1 of FretDojo LIVE! In this session I’m looking at a cool ii – V – I Joe Pass lick and approaches.
00:00 – Introduction
04:24 – Passy Doble ii – V – I Lick Playthrough
05:56 – Fingering tips for the lick
10:16 – Concept 1: Double Approach Notes
16:42 – Concept 2: Dm7b5 Sub on G7
22:15 – Concept 3: Dmaj Triad Sub over CMaj7
27:06 – Summary and Next Steps
This material will instantly spice up your jazz guitar improvisations to make them sound more authentic, and will help you open up the creative soloing possibilities on guitar.
Make sure you subscribe to this site to be advised when future live sessions will be happening.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
What did you think of this jazz guitar quick tip? Leave your comments below…
Founder, Fret Dojo
Innovation in Online Jazz Guitar Education
Great ideas. Really well presented. Very interesting.
Glad you enjoyed Robert!
Your presentation was clear and easy to understand. Better than some instructors I have had.
Thanks for your kind feedback Robert – I appreciate you!
In my constant search for inspiration, being an 80-year old jazz guitarist (!) I happened to see you on youtube. I’ve just gone through the Joe Pass sequence with you and indeed, you are an astonishing teacher! I shall most certainly return to your inspiring and so down-to-earth teaching. Have a great day!
I am very humbled by your kind feedback Erling, thanks so much!
Many people can show you how something is played. You have the rare ability to show you WHY is is played!
Many people can show you how something is played. You have the rare ability to show you WHY is it played!