Podcast: Interview with Jazz Guitarist and Educator Davy Mooney
Join hosts Ryan and Vin as they interview jazz guitarist and educator Dr. Davy Mooney of the University of North Texas on this episode of the Fret Dojo podcast.
This was a fascinating discussion that showed us a glimpse of what it was like growing up in the jazz music mecca of New Orleans and how the music scene differed for musicians from places like New York City and Austin.
We also heard some great tips for jazz guitar students from the head of the department at one of America’s leading jazz guitar programs. Great stuff!
- Mooney grew up in New Orleans and was introduced to jazz guitar through local teachers and the jazz program at the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts high school.
- He started on electric guitar playing rock and gravitated toward jazz via progressive rock and metal.
- Davy says teaching at UNT has made his own playing more modern and he tries to give students tough but constructive feedback.
- Mooney discusses his recently released 7th album, “Way Back”, as well as his two jazz guitar instructional books published by Mel Bay.
- The differences in the New Orleans and NYC jazz scenes. New Orleans has more opportunity to “fake” different jazz styles; in NYC you have to specialize more.
- Davy gave us his unique insights into the challenge of playing solo guitar gigs and his approach to practice and goal-setting.
- He advises students to set realistic goals and not get frustrated playing things that are too difficult and provides other valuable insight for any aspiring jazz guitar student.
Where to find out more:
Davy on Bandcamp: https://davymooney.bandcamp.com/
Davy’s YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@DavyMooneyMusic
Davy’s Instructional Books on Mel Bay: Davy on Mel Bay
What are your thoughts?
What stood out or gave you something to think about (there’s a lot here!)?
Leave your comments below!
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer