Charlie Christian – Rose Room Lick
► Get your FREE PDF Worksheet for this lesson here: https://www.fretdojo.com/pdf/
► Start Your FretDojo Academy Membership here: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
► Become a FretDojo Patreon here: https: https://www.patreon.com/fretdojo
In this session I take a look at some of Charlie Christian’s vocabulary, and how you can easily use this to make a convincing jazz solo that still sounds fresh and relevant today!
00:48 Lick Demonstration – Full Tempo
01:16 Lick Demonstration – Slow Tempo
01:45 Lick Analysis
05:21 Triad Example Ideas over Bb7
07:36 Substitution Analysis
09:07 Triads on Jazz Blues Exercise (with corresponding PDF)
11:01 Exercise Example – Full Tempo
12:30 Wrap Up
This material will instantly spice up your jazz guitar improvisations to make them sound more authentic, and will help you open up the creative soloing possibilities on guitar.
Make sure you subscribe to my channel to be advised when future live sessions will be happening! https://youtube.com/c/FretDojo
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
What did you think of this jazz guitar quick tip? Leave your comments below…
Founder, Fret Dojo
Innovation in Online Jazz Guitar Education