Video: Jamming On Green Dolphin Street
A quick post today – this is a video of yours truly jamming on this classic jazz standard by Bronisław Kaper & Ned Washington, Green Dolphin Street. I thought that you might be interested to check this out.
Following on from the recent post I released on chord melody guitar playing, this video is an example of how you can apply some of the concepts I covered in that lesson.
I’ve been very inspired lately by Lenny’s Breau’s approach to chord melody and chord soloing, so I’m sure you’ll hear some of his ideas coming through in this video ;-)
Lenny used a lot of 3rds and 7ths voicings in his soloing, which are very useful if you need to quickly grab chord voicings if you are doing a fast-moving chord solo or chord melody.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Enjoy! Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.