You CAN teach an old dog new tricks
As the old saying goes…
“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”.
We all know that, right?
It’s 100% untrue. For humans at least.
Check this out:
This article dispels many of the myths surrounding an older person’s ability to learn. One of the examples given is a lady called Priscilla Sitienei from rural Kenya that learned to read and write…at the age of 90!
To quote the article:
“The latest studies from psychology and neuroscience show that these extraordinary achievements need not be the exception. Although you may face some extra difficulties at 30, 50 – or 90 – your brain still has an astonishing ability to learn and master many new skills, whatever your age. And the effort to master a new discipline may be more than repaid in maintaining and enhancing your overall cognitive health.”
Here’s the thing:
If you believe you can’t learn new things, then the mind will happily reinforce that belief for you. Lack of confidence in learning is probably the biggest stumbling block when it comes to older people mastering skills.
And it’s a worry if you think like this – learning new things, especially in old age, is very important to maintain your cognitive and overall health.
So dust off that ol’ jazz guitar, it’s time to get to work.
You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Go here to find out how to start learning some new ones right now:
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education