Why jazz makes you better at all styles of guitar
Recently I got booked to play a classical wedding gig.
Ouch. I haven’t done that for a while.
So I dusted off my neglected classical guitar and tried to remember some of the ol’ Bach and Albeniz I used to play years ago.
This is when I noticed something weird – and very cool.
Even though I hadn’t touched that sort of music for years (having become completely obsessed with jazz guitar in the meantime)…
I was BETTER at these classical tunes then way back when I was dedicating hours on classical practice.
Musically, I found it easier to get into the flow of the music.
Rhythmically, it was more secure.
Technically, I was more accurate and found it easier to play fast runs (thanks, Charlie Parker).
And I could comprehend the harmonic structure of the music, and how this related to the fretboard, with much more clarity than before.
I couldn’t believe it.
In that moment, I realized something:
Studying jazz guitar not only gets you better at playing jazz, but other styles of guitar as well.
Jazz advances you, on all musical fronts, to a much higher level. Studying jazz guitar enables you to understand the nuts and bolts of what makes up the music, and relate this to the unique, complex layout of the guitar.
And if you understand something, the easier it becomes.
So even if jazz guitar isn’t your main musical interest to study, it’s important to think about studying it for this very reason:
It could directly improve ALL the other musical styles you like to play on guitar, and give you a framework to better understand music in general.
Anyway, if you’re keen on learning about how to build your jazz skills on guitar, without needing to sift through all the waffle, go here:
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education