When Sensei Greg met Obi-Stu Kenobi
Exciting times – it’s great to see so many of you sign up for my new course, “Fast Lane: The Total Technique Roadmap for Jazz Guitar”.
Anyway, today I received an interesting question about the new course from one of my subscribers, Neil.
Here’s his question:
Q: “I’ve been working diligently a couple of hours a day for the last 3 years on alternate picking with minimal success. I’ve tried several well-documented approaches. I’m 67 with some mild arthritis in the hands. I feel the only roadblock to playing what I hear is my relatively slow right-hand speed and lack of endurance at faster speeds. I can’t seem to relax the right hand enough to build enduring speed without sacrificing clean articulation. After several years of being obsessed with increasing guitar speed, right left synchronization, and effortless improvisation I believe if improvement doesn’t happen soon, I’ll have to settle with my current limitations. Have you seen much success in players like myself who have worked hard on attempting to selectively practice right-hand technique without much progress? Thanks, Neil”
Yes, I definitely have seen improvement in players who have previously worked a long time on right-hand technique but getting limited results despite the hours invested.
We explain Stuart’s “secret” Jedi techniques in detail in the new course (and a whole lot of other amazing technical shortcuts, too).
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education