When copyright infringement leads to a musical epiphany
I got cranky the other day.
I noticed that someone had used a track from a classical guitar album I recorded years ago – without asking me for permission first.
Tut tut…not happy Jan.
As I was watching this video, fuming that someone had used my precious recording ‘fallen-off-the-back-of-a-truck’, I had an interesting realization.
Listening to this old track of mine that was on the video, it reminded me of how I’m actually now (ironically) more secure in my classical playing following my years of experience with jazz guitar, as opposed to way back when I was only studying classical on it’s own.
Don’t get me wrong:
I learned wonderful things about music by studying classical guitar.
There’s no denying there are aspects of the classical style create a lot of hurdles:
– You learn a bunch of ‘moves’ on the guitar for each tune – but don’t understand how the fretboard is laid out in a way that makes sense.
– You are constantly on edge, worried about making the slightest error that deviates from the musical score.
– Although expression and phrasing are king in classical, rhythmic energy and drive often plays second fiddle.
Jazz guitar helps you overcome all these issues. Studying jazz helps you relate your ears to the fretboard in a way that no other style, for me anyway, has ever come close.
The best part?
When learning jazz, you even learn how to turn mistakes into valid musical statements when improvising (something I call ‘falling with style’).
So the question is, where can you turn to learn the treasured secrets of jazz guitar, so you can build your skills step-by-step? Does such a place exist?
Well, my apprentice, some good news for you:
My online jazz guitar learning community, the FretDojo Academy Club, is just the ticket.
I’m currently recording the lessons for next month and I’m getting dang excited about it y’all.
Sign up to get on board here:
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education