The Stella explosion
Today I want to share a recording I’ve been listening to a lot lately:
This is the Cuban band Irakere’s unorthodox rendition of Stella By Starlight.
It has a funny story too:
Irakere seemingly got the name of Stella By Starlight mistranslated to “Stella Explosion”. However, this accurately describes this “explosive” recording.
I’m a big fan of the electric playing from this band led by the acclaimed saxophonist Paquito D’Rivera. I particularly like the way Paquito D’Rivera plays the saxophone solo on this recording that you’ll hear towards the start of this track.
D’Rivera’s solo has been a key influence in how I approach the improvisation tutorials in my new lesson series on Stella By Starlight. You can access the lessons by joining my Club if you’re not part of it already.
Among various techniques, you’ll learn simple tricks for playing fast double time lines, and how to solo over subdominant minor chords – one of the most common harmonic situations in jazz progressions.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education
P.S – I’ve been getting a lot of questions and interest about my upcoming jazz guitar improvisation course. To get notified of updates and news of when it will open it’s doors for bookings, enter your details on this page to be the first to know: