Sex, drugs, and Christmas carols
Here’s a summary of quite an interesting article I was reading on Music Radar today – rock and metal musicians revealing their favorite Christmas carols.
I found some of their answers pretty surprising:
* Joe Satriani – Silent Night
* Alex Lifeson – Little Drummer Boy
* Steve Vai – Christmas Time Is Here
* Joe Bonamassa: White Christmas (Bing Crosby version)
* Zakk Wylde – I’ll Be Home For Christmas
*Jon Petrucci – O Holy Night
And my personal pick:
* Steve Morse (current guitarist for Deep Purple): Christmas Secrets by Enya
As you can see, even hardened rockers have a soft spot for Christmas Carols (not to mention the rest of us.)
Anyway, if you’re keen to get a solo jazz guitar set list happening this Christmas, my new book, A Chord Melody Christmas, could be just the ticket. Not only does it have carefully notated jazz guitar arrangements of Christmas carol favorites, the new book also includes bonus recordings that are exact note-for-note-renditions of each arrangement. You can use the recordings as a useful study tool or simply as some nice relaxing guitar music to set the scene at home during this holiday season.
If you happen to have Steve Vai over for dinner this Christmas, now you know how to make him happy.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education