Jeremy Sawkins – The Harmonic Adventurer
In today’s episode, Carl Orr has the pleasure of interviewing Sydney-based guitarist, Jeremy Sawkins.
Jeremy has been an active member of the Australian jazz community since the early 1980’s. As well as being a composer/bandleader, Jeremy has shared the stage and recording studios with many notable musicians. Having performed all around Australia, he has also performed in Europe and Asia.
After graduating from the N.S.W. Conservatorium of Music in 1984 (with an Associate Diploma of Jazz Studies), Jeremy joined his former teacher, Dr Roger Frampton (late) in the band ‘Intersection’. The band performed in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. They recorded one album, independently released by Frampton – ‘A breath of fresh air’.
Since then Jeremy has led many of his own groups, his current being ‘Jazz Organism’, the Jeremy Sawkins Trio and Quartet. All groups have had many performance opportunities in Sydney (and Ireland) since 2003.
Jeremy has been with Miroslav Bukovsky’s (A.R.I.A. award winning jazz/world music) group ‘Wanderlust’ since 1996. He has toured Europe twice with the group (1997-98) performing at the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival and the JVC Jazz Festival in Rome (to name a few). In 1999 the group toured China and Japan, performing at the Beijing and Shanghai International Jazz Festivals and the Sweet Basil Jazz Club in Tokyo.
You’ll really get to know Jeremy and his love of music in this episode. He shares a couple of great tracks and demonstrates some great reharmonization and substitution techniques used in his music.
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Before you go…
Join my 30 Day Jazz Guitar Challenge
• A step-by-step guide on building core improvisation skills
• Fundamental comping techniques to be a hero on the bandstand
• Discover the biggest mistakes made by aspiring jazz guitarists…and how YOU can avoid them
• The ultimate fast path for establishing a foundation in jazz guitar
• Instant access – find out more and sign up by clicking the button below: