Bruce Mathiske – The Athletics and Creativity of Jazz Guitar
On today’s podcast, Carl Orr shares an insightful interview with one of Australia’s stars on guitar, Bruce Mathiske!
Bruce has been touring the world and composing for the guitar for the last thirty years. He has studied Classical and Jazz guitar and received his Diploma of Music in improvising, arranging and composing. He has been described by the Sydney Morning Herald as “The Authentic Guitar Virtuoso”.
His use of the guitar to become its own orchestra, and his unique style of playing bass, rhythm and melody simultaneously has led to standing ovations and sell-out concerts all over the world.
Bruce’s recording catalogue includes 25 predominately solo/original albums and he also composed the music score for the Australian Geographic documentary series “The best of Australia” as well as numerous television productions for ABCTV and various other documentaries.
You are going to love this episode with Bruce. He shares some real gems such as his theory of athletics and pure creativity on guitar and also some great practical examples of solo guitar arrangements during the show.
Listen to more of Bruce Mathiske’s Music!
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Before you go…
Join my 30 Day Jazz Guitar Challenge
• A step-by-step guide on building core improvisation skills
• Fundamental comping techniques to be a hero on the bandstand
• Discover the biggest mistakes made by aspiring jazz guitarists…and how YOU can avoid them
• The ultimate fast path for establishing a foundation in jazz guitar
• Instant access – find out more and sign up by clicking the button below: