Nicolas Meier – The Road Less Travelled
In today’s podcast, Carl Orr, FretDojo’s current Artist in Residence, interviews one of the most fascinating and original guitarists on the planet today, Nicolas Meier.
With his unique style that is a blend of Metheny-esque jazz and Turkish inspired world music, Nicolas has toured extensively around the world with his band the Meier Group. This wonderful band (featuring sax maestro Gilad Atzmon and Dave O’Higgins) won the overall prize for ‘best band’ at the Juan-les-Pins jazz festival!
His recent album Kismet is a wonderful heady mixture of Flamenco, jazz, Latin and Middle Eastern music. His prodigious jazz talent is matched by his other great passion: playing heavy metal guitar in his scorching group ‘Seven7’.
For the last three years, Nicolas was the guitarist in guitar supremo, Jeff Beck’s band, with whom he toured all over the world, performing at major venues and festivals. He has recently recorded a stunning album with the A-lister rhythm section of Jimmy Haslip (Yellowjackets) and Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Frank Zappa etc).
You’ll really love this episode with Nicolas not only sharing his story but also talking about his compositions, how he wrote them and the compositions by other musicians who influenced him.
Listen to more of Nicolas Meier’s Music!
If you’re keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here’s what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured – play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum – A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions – get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts – the ultimate idea “grab bag” for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Before you go…
Join my 30 Day Jazz Guitar Challenge
• A step-by-step guide on building core improvisation skills
• Fundamental comping techniques to be a hero on the bandstand
• Discover the biggest mistakes made by aspiring jazz guitarists…and how YOU can avoid them
• The ultimate fast path for establishing a foundation in jazz guitar
• Instant access – find out more and sign up by clicking the button below: