Obi-Wan Kenobi would have made a great jazz guitarist
Have you seen the new Star Wars movie yet? (Don’t worry, no spoilers in this email). Great film, highly recommend.
As I was watching it, it reminded me of one of my favorite (old school) Star Wars scenes – video below:
Here, we witness Luke Skywalker getting his first taste of using a lightsaber, the weapon of choice for a Jedi.
And he sucks.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Luke’s wise old mentor) notices that Luke is trying too hard, and thinking too much.
“This time,” he instructs, “let go your conscious self, and act on instinct”.
All of a sudden, Luke can defend a barrage of laser shots – even with his eyes closed.
Here’s the thing:
Obi-Wan Kenobi is not just a great Jedi master. He would have been a great jazz guitar teacher as well.
Too often, jazz players are thinking too hard when they play, resulting in tight, awkward technique, choking their ideas and phrasing.
By learning to “let go”, and “trusting your feelings” (more Obi-Wan wisdom), your technique, and hence your music, will begin to flow effortlessly, spontaneously and naturally.
I know you may scoff at this, like Han Solo in the above video, but I’m serious.
This simple approach has done wonders for my own playing, and it will do wonders for yours. All you need to do is learn how to take advantage of the natural power of your subconscious mind.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education