Jazz guitar makes your brain smarter – here’s proof
FretDojo Academy Club member Ken N. forwarded this TED video to his fellow members this week – you should definitely check this out (only 4 mins):
In a nutshell:
Neuroscientists in recent years have made exciting progress observing brain activity in subjects playing a musical instrument.
What did they find?
Well, to quote the above video:
“Playing music is the brain’s equivalent of a full body workout. When someone plays a musical instrument, multiple areas of the brain “light up” simultaneously in integrated, interrelated, and astonishingly fast sequences…playing a musical instrument engages practically every area of the brain at once.”
Apparently, regular practice of a musical instrument strengthens visual, auditory, and motor cortices of the brain in particular – allowing you to apply that increased “brain power” to other activities outside of music too.
I bet that Ken is happy to be part of my FretDojo Academy Club right now. Not only is it a way to keep your jazz guitar playing in good shape, but now your brain as well.
You’re welcome to join in too – here’s where to get access and more info:
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education