The Curse Of Internet Overload
It’s kind of ironic that I’m writing this to you.
(After all, Fret Dojo is now one of the most popular jazz guitar websites on the internet, but that’s by the by).
What I want to raise with you is something serious…
All that stuff.
Collectively, this is an insidious force – ever so sneakily whittling away more and more of our time.
I’ve recently realized that it’s been taking a real toll on my own effectiveness and productivity, and, most importantly, focus when it comes to wholesome things like (you guessed it) jazz guitar practice.
So many of us just go online to check a few email messages, but 27 Instagram posts and a few lame talking cat videos on Facebook later, lo and behold…
There’s no time for anything else.
If you want to get good at any craft that requires skill, dedication and a great degree of concentration, like the glorious jazz guitar…
Internet Overload is your enemy.
Here’s the thing:
Being bombarded by the Internet doesn’t just cost you in terms of minutes and hours.
It also impacts on your general focus levels throughout the day.
This is far more serious, as it starts to impede your ability to concentrate on anything for any decent length of time.
So, a few days ago I made the bold decision to take my Internet browser off my smartphone – and got my wife to set a password to prevent me from reinstalling it.
She found it all rather amusing.
So what brought all this on?
I recently picked up a great book called Deep Work by Cal Newport, which explains what extended sessions of distracting activity on the Internet can do to your brain – it’s scary. Here’s the link if you’re interested.
So – turn off the dang iPhone.
Turn on your amp, grab your six-string, and do something worthwhile with your time.
Making music is far more satisfying than the latest online doohickey.
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Thanks for entering this little meditation with me today.
Let me know what you thought about this article by leaving a comment below.
Now go play some jazz!
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education