Don’t worry, I know exactly how it feels
For years, I wandered through the wilderness of trying to learn jazz guitar.
Trying to make sense of how everything fits together. Running down endless rabbit holes.
Seeking out expert jazz guitarists for guidance, but getting frustrated that they couldn’t relate what they knew into a way that made sense.
I got so frustrated with not being able to improve my jazz guitar playing, I gave it away – for about ten years.
The phone started ringing.
Again and again, I started getting offers for lucrative gigs and exciting performance opportunities, and I just couldn’t ignore the jazz itch any longer.
I needed to find a way that I could improve my jazz guitar skills, and do it quickly.
That’s when everything started to change, and I realized something:
The way jazz guitar is usually taught (in terms of scales, modes, and arpeggio patterns) is completely flawed – because it’s missing out the vital elements you need in order to sound like a jazz player.
So I started to design my own system to improve my jazz guitar skills, based on observations of how masters like Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery approached the guitar, with some Eastern philosophy I’d studied over the years threw in for good measure.
In the process, I stumbled onto one of the most important things you need to do to get your playing sounding like a true jazz musician.
Because it’s so simple, it’s an easy (but critical) mistake to make if you don’t do this.
Take a deep breath and brace yourself, because here it is:
Learn a whole heap of jazz standards.
This is one of the best tips I can ever give you. If you want a solo melodically and sound like a jazz player you need to, as Joe Pass puts it, ‘learn as many melodies as you can’.
By regularly learning new tunes, it’s only a matter of time before it will profoundly impact your playing – and you’ll begin to sound like a true jazz musician.
Now, the exciting bit:
My new program, The FretDojo Academy Club, is the perfect answer to building your jazz set list on guitar in an easy, step-by-step way.
In a nutshell, it provides you a new ‘jazz standard in a box’ to learn every single month, delivered to your (virtual) door.
You’ll get all the ingredients you need for preparing a convincing jazz guitar performance of each new tune featured. Melody, soloing, comping, chord melody – the works.
This month, we’re going to cover the classic standard All The Things You Are – one of the most played jazz standards you’ll hear at gigs and jam sessions.
Isn’t it time that you stopped hiding away in your bedroom, getting frustrated and going around in circles – and instead show your family and friends that, yes, you CAN play jazz guitar – and wow them with a great rendition of All The Things You Are?
That time has come. And there’s no better time:
If you join the FretDojo Academy Club today, you’ll get a whopping 69% discount. (To get the discount, just enter coupon code ‘CLUB69’ at checkout).
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
I’ll see you on the inside…
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education