5 reasons why this song form is your next project
I’ve been ruminating lately on why jazz blues is so important to study as a jazz player.
Here are five compelling reasons why you absolutely need to study this chord progression:
1. Jazz blues is an excellent way to study ii – V – I progressions. Not only does it include both a major and minor ii – V – I, but there are also clever ways to treat the dominant chords in the form as ii – V – I progressions too.
2. It’s one of the most common song forms in jazz. If you study this single progression, you’ll be able to play countless jazz standards as a result.
3. Jazz blues has an abundance of dominant chords, the most important chord in jazz to learn how to solo over. As the saying goes – if you’ve mastered dominant chords, you’ve mastered jazz.
4. The blues is actually a crucial jazz vocabulary idea. Regardless of what jazz standard you might play, if you want things to sound like jazz the easiest way is to use blues lines. The best part – playing blues lines is very straightforward to do (but often forgotten about when it comes to jazz soloing).
5. Jazz blues, simply put, sounds cool. The audience loves it, and it’s one of the most fun song forms to solo over.
Anyway, my latest lesson series on how to master the jazz blues form is now live and ready for you to enjoy in the FretDojo Academy Club, my online jazz guitar learning community.
Not only do you get the video lessons on this song form (and a bucketload of lessons on all other aspects of jazz guitar besides), but also entrance to a thriving online community of passionate jazz players.
If you join the club you also get discounts on all other FretDojo courses, coaching sessions, and all other products. We also hold competitions with some very cool prizes up for grabs every month.
Now’s the time – jump off that fence and jump in – join the club via this page:
Now the exciting bit:
If you're keen to have a structured, step-by-step approach to learning jazz guitar, it might be worth checking out my online learning system, the FretDojo Jazz Guitar Academy.
Here's what you get when you join up:
- Detailed step-by-step video lessons on new classic jazz tunes and essential jazz guitar skills added to the club website each month. Includes listening recommendations, demonstrations of the melody, analysis of the harmony, and detailed explanations on how to solo over the tune.
- Key improvisation concepts and techniques for soloing, and classic licks and example solos that relate to each tune, so you can continue to expand your jazz vocabulary and have more options when it comes to soloing.
- Detailed comping ideas to suit the style of each jazz standard covered
- Lessons on how to make chord melody and solo jazz guitar versions of tunes featured - play a complete jazz standard completely on your own like Joe Pass!
- Members only forum - A worldwide community of jazz guitarists from all around the globe.
- Regular workshops, masterclasses, and Q & A Sessions - get direct answers from me on anything holding you back in the practice room. Replays of all sessions are available to access for all members even if you can’t make it live.
- Massive searchable database of jazz licks and soloing concepts - the ultimate idea "grab bag" for your solos.
- Optional monthly challenges where members participate to get feedback on their playing, reach new milestones and be eligible for cool prizes.
The best part:
You can access this all of this and more for just $1 by signing up to a 14 day trial. Go here for more info: https://www.fretdojo.com/signup-offer
Founder, Fret Dojo
World Leader in Online Jazz Guitar Education